Chocolate Buttercream (Cheese) Frosting
Rich deep chocolate flavor and smooth creamy texture with a few flavor secrets from cream cheese, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and buttermilk.
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
- 2 sticks butter (8 oz)
- 4 oz cocoa powder (1/2 8 oz package — about a cup)
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 16 oz powdered sugar (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Get the butter and cream cheese out of the refrigerator and leave at room temperature until softened.
- Put the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Start the mixer on low speed until it breaks up the big lumps, and then increase the speed gradually to medium until it smooths out the smaller lumps. Stop to clear the paddle and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl several times with your flexible spatula.
- Add the cocoa powder and the optional espresso powder. Start the mixer slowly or the cocoa will fly all over the room. As it blends, increase speed gradually to medium until the cocoa is well blended.
- Add the vanilla (overpour a little) and run the mixer until it blends in.
- Add the powdered sugar one-third at a time, also adding two tablespoons of buttermilk with each addition. With each addition, run the mixer slowly at first and speed it up. Stop occasionally to clear the paddle and scrape the bowl.
- At the end, run the mixer on a higher speed (I use 6) for a minute or two until it has no more lumps and a satiny texture.If the frosting is too heavy, keep adding a few more tablespoons of buttermilk and blending it in until you reach a spreading consistency.
- Remove the paddle and free the bowl. Use your flexible spatula to scrape all the frosting off the sides and bottom of the bowl, and then fold and blend until all the streaks are gone.